Chili idly (Serves 3)
This was a regular lunch box option when I was in college. As I never like idlys much, mom dint have an option but to search for a better option whenever she made idlys. So she came up with this idea and it was a huge hit.. not only at home but also in my friends circle… recently my friend was visiting us and she asked to make the chili idlys.. so I made them and of course they cant go wrong… they were a huge hit with my friends and hubby too …
here are the ingredients and the recipe..
do reduce the spices if serving to children..
1. Idly batter 1 liter ( I used store bought ID idly/dosa batter which produces fairly fluffy idlys )
2. Tomato 2 ( Big ) finely chopped
3. Onion 1 ( Big ) finely chopped
4. Green Bell pepper 1 ( Medium ) stemmed, seeds removed and finely chopped
5. green chilies 3 slit length wise
6. Coriander powder 1 tsp
7. Kashmiri Chili powder 1 tsp
8. ½ tsp turmeric
9. A large pinch of asafetida
10. 2 tsp oil/ghee
11. ½ tsp each of Mustard, cumin, urad and chana dal for tempering
Steam the idlys for 15 to 20 minutes in a pressure cooker on medium low flame, do not use the weight
Note: If you are using steel idly plates, make sure to apply oil lightly so that removing idlys will be easy. Also remember to dip your spoon in water and then try taking them off the plate… they come of easily without sticking. And do not try to take them off when really hot… Let them cool for couple of minutes and then take off.
Once the idlys are ready, break them into small pieces and keep aside.
Heats oil in a pan, add asafetida, turmeric and all the ingredients for tempering, once the mustard starts spluttering, add the slit green chilies and fry for a couple of minutes.
Then add onions and fry till they turn translucent, then add the chopped tomato and wait till it turns to a mush. Add coriander powder, Kashmiri chili powder, and fry for 2-3 minutes. Then add the idly pieces and stir to coat the masala on all the idly pieces. Serve by itself or with chutney